Catch 323/365Read Now
"Getting Goofy" Series
"What is the best color?"
Picking the right goofy jig color is tough. Not only are Doc's available in numerous colors, they are commonly rigged with an additional quill or "teaser" to further complicate color choice. Add in the fact that pompano can have a mind of their own, and change color preference almost daily....and the equation can seem almost impossible to solve.
The following are five good tips to get started when picking Goofy Jig/Quill Combos:
1. When in doubt...Gold Goofy Jig/Pink Quill. This is a classic combo, and still catches them!
2. Start With contrasting jig/quill combos (Yellow Jig/Pink Quill, Pink Jig/White Quill, Etc). If this doesn't work, try matching jig and quill combos.
3. In clear water stay with more natural colors, and in murky water get brighter with color choices. Chartreuse(lime green) has been a hot color lately.
4. When jigging inshore areas (grassflats, mudflats, channels, etc) pink and orange jigs are always a good choice.
5. Have a variety of choices, change them often, and don't be afraid to get a little wild with your color combos.
Check Back Daily For: